Poway, CA Medical Malpractice Lawyer - Hospital Negligence Attorneys
Have you or a loved one been the victim of a medical mistake at a Poway hospital or care facility that resulted in significant harm? Medical errors happen more often than people realize and they can have absolutely devastating consequences.
If you have suffered an injury or the loss of a loved one in the Poway area because of hospital or physician negligence, you need legal advocates fighting for your rights. The Poway medical malpractice lawyers at Moseley Collins Law have over 40 years of experience representing clients who have been seriously hurt by healthcare errors nationwide. We have recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for victims and are committed to holding negligent hospitals, doctors and providers accountable.
This page explains hospital negligence that leads to medical malpractice, how a lawyer can assist if you or a family member has been injured, and highlights some of the sizable verdicts and results our lawyers have secured. We also provide answers to frequently asked questions about medical negligence claims.Common Types of Medical Negligence at Poway Area Hospitals
Medical mistakes occur everyday in emergency rooms, operating rooms and patient floors of Poway’s healthcare facilities. These errors cause devastating injuries or even wrongful death. We are dedicated to representing patients and families harmed by all forms of hospital negligence and malpractice, including:
- Failing to Properly Diagnose or Misdiagnosis - One of the top reasons people pursue California medical malpractice lawsuits is improper or delayed diagnosis. Missed, delayed or wrong diagnoses lead to serious harm including death in some cases.
- Medication Errors - Getting the wrong drug, incorrect dose or experiencing an adverse reaction to medication leads to 300,000 hospitalizations per year. Medication errors are often preventable with adequate care from doctors and nursing staff.
- Surgical Errors - Making mistakes during surgeries by clipping, cutting or damaging tissues, nerves, organs or arteries. Surgical errors cause severe problems such as paralysis, infection, and hemorrhaging.
- Anesthesia Errors - Anesthesia mistakes made before, during or after surgical procedures result in brain damage, organ failure and cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Childbirth Injuries - Preventable birth trauma to infants can lead to devastating, lifelong effects like cerebral palsy, seizures, learning disabilities and other neurological problems.
- Infections and Sepsis - Failing to prevent and promptly treat infections contracted because of unclean facilities or improper protocols spreads illness throughout the body.
- Medical Equipment Injuries - Using defective devices, mishandling equipment or failing to properly operate, clean and maintain tools leads to patient harm.
If you or someone you love has endured one of these medical errors, we can fully investigate what happened during your hospital visit and determine if malpractice was involved. The skilled California medical malpractice lawyers at our firm help victims and families understand their legal rights and navigate these complex claims process every step of the way.Major Hospitals Serving the Poway Area
Palomar Medical Center Poway - 15615 Pomerado Road, Poway, CA 92064. Palomar Health’s flagship hospital serving over 800,000 residents of northern San Diego County with cutting-edge trauma care, birthing center and research institute.
Pomerado Hospital – 15615 Pomerado Road, Poway, CA 92064. Part of Palomar Health’s network, this hospital has served the region since 1961, now with advanced spine care, orthopedics and skilled nursing facility.
Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla – 9888 Genesee Avenue, La Jolla, CA 92037. Scripps top-ranked hospital for clinical excellence provides technologically advanced care in areas like oncology, cardiology, orthopedics, women’s health and more.
Sharp Grossmont Hospital – 5555 Grossmont Center Dr, La Mesa, CA 91942. East County’s largest hospital with over 500 beds for areas like emergency care, cancer, stroke, maternity and surgical specialty units. Part of the Sharp HealthCare network.
Sharp Coronado Hospital – 250 Prospect Place, Coronado, CA 92118. One of San Diego’s top performing hospitals for clinical excellence with advanced specialty care in orthopedics, sports medicine, rehabilitation, behavioral health and complex surgery.
As an accomplished medical malpractice law firm for over 40 years, we help injured victims and grieving families throughout the county seek accountability and justice. Some specific cities, communities and towns our lawyers assist after hospital negligence incidents include:
- Rancho Peñasquitos
- Rancho Bernardo
- 4S Ranch
- Sabre Springs
- Carmel Mountain Ranch
- Rancho Encantada
- Scripps Ranch
- Mira Mesa
- Del Sur
- Rancho Santa Fe
- Fairbanks Ranch
- Solana Beach
No matter what city or hospital where malpractice occurred, our goal is helping residents across greater San Diego County understand their legal options and rights to fair compensation after experiencing medical errors resulting in catastrophic injury or loss of life. We represent clients from Southern California and statewide.Why Hire a Lawyer for Your Hospital Negligence Claim?
After experiencing medical negligence, most victims want to know why the error occurred, how it could have been prevented and who will be held responsible. Poway medical malpractice lawyers are prepared to answer these questions as advocates for the injured and obtain just compensation.
Specifically, a lawyer like those at Moseley Collins Law can assist with a medical negligence claim by:
- Conducting an Initial Investigation - We order all medical records, obtain relevant doctors’ statements and gather additional evidence to build a timeline of events surrounding the malpractice incident. Thorough analysis allows our firm to determine negligence.
- Consulting Medical Experts - To prove malpractice under California law, you must show the doctor or hospital failed to provide care a reasonable professional with similar training would have under the circumstances. We retain multiple independent specialists who give objective reviews of your case and can testify to mistakes made. Their opinions are critical to proving liability.
- Managing Negotiations - Hospital negligence cases typically settle prior to trial, but not without assertive advocacy. We fiercely negotiate to ensure patients receive maximum damages reflective of present and long-term effects the avoidable error has caused.
- Going to Trial - When fair settlements cannot be reached, Moseley Collins Law takes these cases to court in order to get victims justice. We are not afraid to fight for critically injured clients against negligent healthcare providers. Our record includes trial verdicts well into the multi-millions.
The skilled California medical malpractice lawyers at our firm help victims and families understand their legal rights and navigate these complex claims process every step of the way. We are dedicated patient advocates.Frequently Asked Hospital Negligence Claim QuestionsWhat is defined as medical malpractice under California law?
Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare provider fails to meet accepted standards of medical care, resulting in patient injury or wrongful death. Breaching this duty must have been negligent and avoidable based on what other reasonable doctors would have done.What types of compensation can be recovered in a hospital negligence claim?
You may be entitled to economic damages for all quantified losses including medical costs, caretaking expenses, lost income and funeral bills for death claims. Non-economic awards cover harder to quantify harm such as pain, suffering, emotional anguish and reduced enjoyment of life after malpractice.Is there a cap or limit on medical malpractice settlements in California?
No, the state does not cap individual hospital negligence cases. Award amounts are based on factors like severity of injury, future impacts on quality of life and whether actions showed recklessness. Healthcare providers have liability insurance policies, though government hospitals carry lower policies.How long do I have to file a medical malpractice lawsuit in California?
Per CA Code of Civil Procedure section 340.5, you normally have 3 years from the date of injury or 1 year after discovery of negligence to file a claim. There are exceptions to extending this time limit, however. A lawyer can advise you further on specific filing deadlines for your circumstances.Will filing a malpractice claim harm my relationship with the negligent doctor?
Pursuing compensation for the full harm caused by medical negligence understandably changes the dynamics with that provider. But the focus is accountability for the damage inflicted - economic, physical and emotional. Further interaction with the negligent physician is rarely necessary after they give legal deposition testimony explaining actions taken.Do I have to pay legal fees to pursue a hospital negligence claim?
No. We take all valid medical malpractice cases on a contingency fee basis at our firm. This means no upfront payments from injured clients. We only collect if we obtain a settlement or verdict, taking a percentage of the final amount achieved for you.What are my chances of winning a hospital negligence case?
Every medical error and affected patient is unique, so we cannot guarantee victory. However, our firm takes on cases selectively with valid grounds for negligence and causation of significant harm. We prepare every case for trial, forcing hospitals/doctors to pay victims fairly or face juries. Over 80% of our clients receive positive settlements or verdicts.Will you communicate regularly about the progress of my hospital negligence case?
Absolutely. Trusted communication is key as your advocates. We frequently update clients during lengthy investigations/negotiations. You will contribute helping shape case strategy. As needed, we can visit you to discuss developments in-person if mobility challenges prevent travel after hospital negligence.
If you have any other questions related to California medical malpractice cases or believe you have a valid hospital negligence claim in Poway or anywhere statewide, please call Moseley Collins Law at 800-426-5546 for a free consultation. Our lawyers remain dedicated advocates to those injured by medical negligence throughout the state.